Monday, March 10, 2014

Template For 3/8" Inset Cabinet Hinges



I am updating the hardware on my otherwise fine 45 year old kitchen cabinets. I've found the hinge I'll use and have attached a couple as a test to one cabinet door. They look great. The only question I have is whether anyone knows of a template or jig for a router that could help me make quicker work of attaching these hinges (I have 26 or so cabinets!!). This is roughly the kind of hinge I'm using.
The cabinets have standard (or 1960s standard) 3/8 lipped doors. I can cut the slots in the wood on the back of the door freehand, just tracing the outline of the hinge with a sharp utility knife and then chiseling to the right depth (which is what I did with my first two), but that took a while. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

You might try rockler.com.

Thanks. Had a look but didn't see anything.

Alternative is to make your own out of some plywood or some such stuff and some 1 x 2 or 3. Make something like a picture frame for your router bit with a guide collar to run around to make the mortise. You'll have to square the corners with a chisel. Since all your doors are the same height, you could make this a jig that would fit over the top and bottom ends of the doors to keep it in place at the same spacing for all hinges.
I hope this helps.

I found this site:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/rotrinlays.html
Looks like a router inlay kit is what you need. THe template you'll have to develop on your own I think.
Also check out this thread for more info:
http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bu...inlay-kit.html
Good luck with your project.






Tags: template, cabinet, hinges