Wednesday, March 12, 2014

install-a-backup-sump-pump



We have had 2 separate sump pumps fail on us and ruin our basement rec-room. I want to install a second pump as a backup and plug it into a battery backup as well. My thought is to attach another outgoing pipe from the second sump pump to the existing set up. I'm assuming that I will need to add a check value to each of the lines before the two join together.
Can anyone comment on this?
Thanks.

Yes. You will need another check valve to keep the water from the secondary from going back into the primary.
It is hard to describe exactly how you do it, other than a wye connection into the discharge line.
The next one I do I will take pics in stages,,,,,,that way I can use it for future reference.
I have done quite a few in the past few years,,,,,You need some long plastic cable ties to strand all the wires (3) out of harms way as you come out of the pit.
Dangling wires are nothing but problems down the road......can hinder proper operation of the float switch as well.

Planning on doing the same thing myself,
Call Pioneer Basement or Basement technology for a battery back-up pump quote and they will mail you the quote with a diagram that is helpful for doing it yourself. I was about to post a thread myself to see if anyone has used the Basement Watchdog pump and which they would recommend.

Can anyone recommend a good battery backup sump pump that will also operate when the power is on if the main pump fails -- that is, I want to backup both against a power failure and a pump failure. I know Basement Watchdog makes one, it is quite expenseive (about $500 with battery etc). The cheaper models only work if the power goes out, but won't work if the power is on and the main sump pump fails. Do any of the other names mentioned here -- Pioneer Basement, Basement Technology -- have this kind of pump? Any other ecommendations? Thanks.

I would stick with the watchdog; worth every penny and the economy setups won't guarantee a dry basement.
That is why they are cheaper.

I did something a little different. My neighbor has had numerous basement floods when his backup sump pump batteries expired after about a day of steady operation during a power failure. So I bought a backup sump pump at Home Depot that runs off city water pressure. I plumbed a T into the cold water line and installed a shutoff valve, then ran a heavy-duty hose via the appropriate couplers to the inlet of the pump. The pump sits at the bottom of the sump basket beside the primary pump, but has a float switch much higher.
So if the power fails, as it often does during spring or summer storms, the basket fills a little higher but then the secondary/backup pump kicks in. I've been without power plenty of times, but I've NEVER been without city water pressure.
Since it is a backup pump, I also have battery-operated water alarms inside the sump backet (to alert me of primary pump failure) as well as a floating water alarm sitting on the floor right outside the sump basket. It seems like a good plan, and so far, it's worked perfectly.

Barmats,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard of a water pressure operated sump pump, and no one in Home Depot ever suggested it. Where in Home Depot do they keep it (which department?). Do you have a manufacturer name, model no etc? Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by boxer
Can anyone recommend a good battery backup sump pump that will also operate when the power is on if the main pump fails -- that is, I want to backup both against a power failure and a pump failure. I know Basement Watchdog makes one, it is quite expenseive (about $500 with battery etc). The cheaper models only work if the power goes out, but won't work if the power is on and the main sump pump fails. Do any of the other names mentioned here -- Pioneer Basement, Basement Technology -- have this kind of pump? Any other ecommendations? Thanks.
I disagree with your comment on backup models not working in certain situations. Battery backup models should also work even if there is no power outage. A decent battery backup system will have it's own separate on/off float mechanism that will engage the pump motor when water reaches that level in the pit (typically at a higher on/off level than your primary). A water powered system sounds good because it requires no battery and works off of city pressure, however bear in mind this may take more work to tap into your city water lines and running copper pipe. It also requires a decent amount of line pressure to be effective. If not installed correctly, a water powered system will leak....and it is under pressure. A neighbor of mine had one fail and ended up with 6 FEET of water in the basement.
My preferred brand of backup systems are from Zoeller.

I was just about to embark on this same project, and my plan was to install a second pump in the pit and hook it up to a standard universal power supply (UPS) like you might buy for a computer. Most of them are designed to run a computer for at least 30 min. continuosly which should give at least an hour of run time for a half-way efficient pump, and most of them cost less than a $100. With the back up float set a little higher than the primary, a check valve to make sure that it doesn't back flow, and some type of alarm rigged up, I figure I can have a reliable back up for less than $200.
The water supplied pump sounds like a good idea but for those of us on a well, it obviously wouldn't work.

That idea works and is cost effective, but insurance companies will not foot the bill for a device that wasn't bought/sold/distributed as a protective assembly to protect from water damage due to primary failure.
It saves money and I'm sure it will work, but insurance companies are notorious for their exclusions. If they inspect and see a setup that isn't normal or manufactured that way, they will be inclined to reason the product as unreliable and most likely the reason for failure.






Tags: install, backup, sump, pump, sump pump, backup sump, backup sump pump, battery backup, power main, pump fails, that will, work power, Basement Basement, Basement Watchdog