Monday, March 10, 2014

2003 Honda Civic Ex Stumbles



Just had a timing belt replaced on this car. It has 142k miles on it. Before and after timing belt was done it would feel like the car would stumble or was about shut off. If I throw the car into nuetral I can keep it running. It happened to me again tonight.
I have no check engine light. So I stopped by autozone immediately and there was no error codes.
Does this car have a main relay? How can I tell if its the fuel pump. Thanks

Hondas do have a main relay, but my recollection is that it is usually an all-or-nothing item. For fuel pump you'll need to attach a gauge to the test port on the fuel manifold; check with one of the chain auto parts places, some have loaner tools and equipment.
All of the usual tune-up items up to date?
One thing you might try is removing the intake duct from the throttle body to inspect the throttle plate (butterfly) and intake. Sometimes they will crud up and affect the idle. Pretty easy to clean with an old toothbrush and a spray can of carb cleaner. With engine off, prop the throttle plate open, then go at both sides of the plate and the surrounding passage with the cleaner.

I replaced the plugs about a month ago.
Always keep the filter clean.
Oil was changed two weeks ago and is still clean.
From what I understand from Autzone there was no PVC. The fuel filter for this car I believe is in the tank.
I always put Sea Feam in the tank. Matter of fact, I buy so much I finally splurged and bought a gallon.

I noticed this is happening more frequently now. It's happens when the car has cooled down. It doesn't happen when the car is started up for the first time after sitting all night. It's after I come home and its cooled down. Tonight it stumbled again...however now the weather is changing also. Too keep it running I may slide it into neutral or pump the gas peddle to keep it from stalling.

Probably worth the trouble to try the fuel filter since there's a chance it's never been done and wouldn't hurt to go ahead and give the throttle plate a scrubbing, although I'm inclined to think that's not where the problem is. Beyond that, might be time to bite the bullet and get it on a scanner at a good independant garage.

I don't want to throw money at the problem...however...at 145k miles...if I'm putting in a fuel filter...I might as well do the fuel pump also because of the labor and potential tow charge (if the car break downs) if the fuel pump is the real problem.
On the internet...I also see the EGR valve can be a issue also. As of now...I'm averaging 25 miles a gallon city and highway with this car.

The way to head off the potential money-throwing would be to do a pressure test first. EGR problems generally induce a check engine light, although not always. I noticed when checking fuel filter location that your pump/filter is apparently pretty easy to access. Once you see the price of a good pump, you may change your mind about changing it now.
Side note that I often ask Honda owners with high mileage cars; do you keep the timing belt changed at the recommended intervals? [This is often asked when it's too late and the belt has broken with a big repair bill coming].

I though the gas tank needed to be dropped on this car to get at the fuel filter because the pump and filter is in the tank?

When I did some quick research on autozone.com, their repair section seemed to indicate an access panel. Check floor in trunk or under back seat. Also Googling it I saw several references to access. Maybe another Honda owner can enlighten us.

Your right. checked chilton repair and there IS a access panel.

Nice. Only seen a couple of makes that had a panel. Could never figure out why it isn't done more widely to preclude having to drop the tank for fuel pump work.

Just got back from the dealer. Looks like the filter\strainer is built into the pump. At the dealer the pump costs about $400.00. On a honda parts direct site...I see pumps going for $220.00. So I guess this is a dead end? Or start with cleaning the throttle body first? Thanks

I'm not much of a Honda guy, so bear with me. Are you sure about the pump/filter? I did a look up on rockauto.com and found a fuel pump filter for under $30:
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Just curious, but does the scheduled maintenance chart in the owner's manual mention the fuel filter?
The intake duct cleaning comes under category of can't hurt (and it's cheap).
Update, Honda parts online also lists a pump. Good diagram here:
https://www.hondapartsonline.net/par...layCatalogid=0

I thought I replied but didn't....you are the real pro...I just bought the filter from Rock Auto...I will let you know how I make out...

I'm not holding a lot of hope for the filter to be the problem, but pretty cheap item to try and with the mileage you have, worth trying.

I agree. But for $28.00 its worth a shot.

Hey tow guy!!...changed it out this afternoon. The only problem was I broke a copper tab that looked like some sort of grounding mechanism. Of course my sodering iron was broken. Of course the lady of the house stepped out for a couple of hours. Once I got the soldering iron...everything fell into place. The hardest part was putting the pump back into the car.
I was going to post pictures but see it can only be a http reference.
Also the car seems to drive better also. I have not had another stumble incident since 10/4. Lets see what happens. Thanks again!
BTW...the pump was accessable under the rear seat

not that it matters but this is plethora of practical knowledge on Hondas
Honda/Acura Main FAQ Page






Tags: honda, fuel filter, fuel pump, pump filter, throttle plate, timing belt, access panel, check engine, check engine light, cooled down, engine light, have main