Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Basement Window Replacement Metal Frame



Can someone please tell me the best way to install a replacement window in the basement. I have The builder specials there now. These are the single pane glass inside of a metal frame. I am told i need to take the frame out by some and others to just frame inside the metal frame with 1 bys pressure treated wood. The opening inside the metal frame is 31 1/4 by 16 1/2. The stock windows are 31 by 15 for a hopper or 32 by 15 for the slider from home depot/lowes. The window measurements are 31 3/4 by 15 slider and 30 3/4 by 15 hopper. I would rather the slider window which if i cut the outside edges of the vynyl i can probably snugly fit inside the metal frame. What is the best method and most economical? I am told the right way would be to remove the metal frame and frame out in PT wood. Others have said that the metal frame is mortatred in the poured foundation wall and is a real pain in the a$$ to remove. Please help. I want to finish this basement asap. Thanks.

hi
read this thread
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=211258
pg

Pgtek, SO if it is into the cement, i can take them out? IM a little confused. I read other posts that says not to take the metal out but to build a PT wood frame inside and order a window to fit inside that frame. I want to do it the right way first and only once. Please anyone advise. Thanks.

hi
yes you can take the metal frame out.
you will need a reciprical saw and a metal blade.
and if the opening is to big you will need to make a box
But you could leave it there and get a window to fit the opening
good luck
pg

Hi Not2skilled!
I had a thread about this exact thing a couple of weeks ago. Estimates to have it done ran 250-300 per window, installation only, and I have 5 windows to do. I think I am looking at the same replacement windows you are. I wouldn't cut the vinyl to fit, order them to fit your opening! HD says it only takes two weeks.
I did finally get some good advice from a friend of mine who supervises housing construction. He says they never embed the window frames in the concrete for exactly this reason. ANYWAY, he says to just take out the exisitng slider and make a new frame inside the metal frame that's left. I'm thinking I can use my table saw or router to cut slots in the wood to fit over the lips of the frame and get it nice and smooth and square. I'm thinking of using a ramset to attach the new wood frame through the metal and into the concrete. Then I'll measure the new opening and order the windows to fit and I can just screw them into the new wood frame and caulk all around. I should be good to go.
I figure I'll dry fit one first, order the windows and make all of the pieces while the windows are on order. Then when they come in I'm ready to go.
Let us know how your's work out!
Good luck,
Tom

Hey Tom,
I think im going to remove the frame. From what it looks, The top and the sides look like they will caome out pretty easily. In one window, the top is already pretty lose and when the hvac guys were down in the basement the one guy said you can take the top out and then the left and right sides should fold in. Or maybe use the sawzall to cut the metal pins. I might try that and possibly leave the bottom frame there. The home dpot sliders 32 x 15 will fit in perfectly with a 1/4 inch gap and both sides that ill fill with caulking and then secure with either concrete screws or tap cons. Let me know how yours come out and ill let you know about mine. Thanks.

Not2 -
Yeah - I'd be really interested to see how yours comes out. Can you take some pictures? I hope to start mine next week. I can take some and even have a place to post if you're interested.
I'll keep monitoring this thread.
Tom

Sounds good, ill take some before and after. I dont have a site but i can post them somewhere or email them. thanks again.






Tags: basement, window, replacement, metal, frame, metal frame, inside metal, inside metal frame, frame inside, take some, wood frame, frame inside metal, frame inside metal frame, order windows